School of Art
Collecting Contemporary PrintsBetween 1978 and 1981 small annual grants from the West Wales Arts Association were matched by the University to allow the modest acquisition of prints. The aim was to bring the collection up to date and make it representative of the work of contemporary Welsh, British and international artists. From 1978 until the first income from the Catherine Lewis Trust was used for acquisitions, the University acquired by purchase and donation 113 prints representing 58 artists.
The establishment of the Catherine Lewis Trust in 1981 helped realise the ambition to have a purpose built print room and gallery to store and display the University's extensive collection of graphic art. The aim has since been to acquire prints and drawings by contemporary British artists; groups of works that are retrospective surveys of individual artist's careers; works by artists practising during the period since Sidney Greenslade ceased collecting in 1935, and important European prints, as funds allow, to fill gaps within the existing collection 'so that it may be representative of the highest achievements of the history of printmaking'.