School of Art
BequestsIn addition to the many gifts and bequests from friends and former students of the University, three principal bequests form the foundation of the School of Art Collection.
George Ernest John Powell of Nanteos gave many varied items from his house in London, including oil paintings, works on paper and over 1,700 books, as well as decorative art, coins and curiosities.
Sir John Williams was President of the University from 1913 until his death in 1926. He left important bequests to both the University and the National Library of Wales. Together with oil paintings and works on paper, his bequest to the University included a notable collection of 18th century furniture.
The Catherine Lewis Trust Fund was established in 1981 from the estate of Dr Elvet Lewis who graduated in Chemistry from the University in 1926. The Fund has facilitated the acquisition, preservation and display of graphic art and studio ceramics as well as providing purpose-built galleries to house the Collection.