School of Art
Dr Elvet LewisDr Elvet Lewis (1904–1981), a graduate in Chemistry at UCW Aberystwyth in 1926, left his estate to the College in memory of his wife Catherine, a school teacher from his home town of Aberfan in South Wales. Lewis was headmaster of Beal Grammar School for Boys, Ilford, Essex, for twenty years until his retirement in 1970. He was an active member of the Old Students' Association of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth and he became President of the OSA in 1953. The Catherine Lewis Trust Fund was established and its income used, at Elvet Lewis' wish, 'for the purchasing for the College of works of art'.