School of Art

Contact Details

School of Art
Aberystwyth University
Buarth Mawr
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
SY23 1NG

Tel: +44 (0)1970 622460

Fax: +44 (0)1970 622461

Email: artschool@aber.ac.uk


Display artist/maker:

James Sadler and Sons Ltd.

   Active: 1882-2000

Pottery: James S. Sadler formed the company in 1882 and was later joined by Edward Sadler at Wellington Works, Burslem. In 1920 they took over the Central Pottery, Burslem which was being run by John Sadler (son of James) and closed the Wellington Works, renaming them the Wellington and Central Potteries. The company became well known for its teapots, the first teapots were red clay with a brown glazed surface. Later, Rockingham style teapots known as Brown Bettys were made from white clay. Other styles included Samian, Russett and coloured pots, with novelty teapots introduced in the 1920s. After visiting the USA in 1928, Edward Sadler modernised the factory and installed the company's first tunnel kiln in 1934. By 1955 the company had 500 employees and the product range expanded to include vases and jardinieres, kitchen sets, mixing bowls and souvenirs by the 1970s. However declining sales forced the company in to receviership in 2000, despite an attempt at rebranding in the late 1990s where it was managed by a member of the Sadler family. The name was retained as a separate brand entity with manufacturing incorporated into the Churchill factory in Cobridge

Objects in the collections associated with this artist/maker

Racing Car Teapot OKT42 C1223 Ceramics




 
Gweinyddu