School of Art

Contact Details

School of Art
Aberystwyth University
Buarth Mawr
SY23 1NG

Tel: +44 (0)1970 622460

Fax: +44 (0)1970 622461


Edward Davies Building

The School of Art at Aberystwyth University is housed in the former Edward Davies Chemical Laboratories. The Edward Davies Building, now Grade II listed, was the first purpose-built chemical laboratory in a British university. It was designed by Alfred W. S. Cross (1858-1932), opened in 1907 by Lord Asquith and remained a functioning Chemistry Department until 1988. The building is situated on Buarth Mawr over looking the town and Cardigan Bay; its grand ‘Wrenaissance’-style façade incorporating two wings and a central cupola resembles a municipal art museum.

View of the Edward Davies Building.

View of the Edward Davies Building.

The School of Art (formerly the Visual Art Department) moved here in December 1993 but it was not officially opened as such until March 1995. The building has two new galleries and a museum area in which to display and store some of the collections of fine and decorative art.

More >>